Thursday 10 December 2020

Uillinn Dance Season 2020: Tara Brandel

Thursday's Dance Season interview features Tara Brandel. 


What was it that motivated you to become a dancer?

I practically came into the world dancing. I remember wanting to dance since I was 3 years of age. The freedom of growing up in West Cork had a lot to do with it. Running around fields and just generally having space to move was a big help. 


Have recent restrictions affected your processes?#

They have. The big drawback has been having many of my performances cancelled but despite that, I feel lucky to have had the West Cork Arts Centre. While I couldn't perform, it was great to have a space where I could carry on researching and practicing. 


In a few words, describe how this latest performance makes you feel when you are performing it? Also, is there some feeling you hope to evoke in the people watching it?

Ideally, I hope to get people to think. I'd rather them join the dots themselves rather than telling them directly what it's about. In that way, the performance can evoke empathy and create an emotional connection. I'm hoping that any recognition discovered by the viewer can become something profound for them. 


For people eager to get started in the dance world, is there any advice you could give them?

If you really love dancing and it's your passion, don't give up! Let your passion come through. Dancing has become the central joy of my life and I know if I had ever given it up I would have deeply regretted it.


If people wanted to check out more of your work, where could they go?

http://tarabrandel.com/

http://www.croiglan.com/about-us/

https://www.facebook.com/tara.brandel


No comments:

Post a Comment