Sunday 7 August 2022

A Forest Sounds Like a Ship at Sea:

Geocaching metaphors

Day 19: Remote Residency at Uillinn: West Cork Arts Centre, Skibbereen, Ireland, 7/18/22 to 8/13/22,  Maria Driscoll McMahon checking in from New York State


On this morning's walk, I discovered something that had been perplexing me: why this tree would startle me as it announced itself from on high when I passed it on the trail - even when the air was still... I wrote about it in an earlier post. 



There's a metaphor here!


I spent the rest of the day drawing a hawthorn tree and experimenting with various photoshop filters for my animation in progress. The original drawing (still in progress) is first, top left.  This project has required a lot of research (most of my drawings do) and I draw very slowly.  I also am on a learning curve in figuring out the animation process and learning how to layer drawing over video,  so I anticipate it will be several months before the final project is complete. In addition to drawing,  I may do some other things as well.  The exciting thing about art is the process itself and the many ways it informs the content, form, and meaning of a given work. I hope to always be open to learning something new - even as I keep something of the tried and true. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment